NRPE/NSCA replacement thoughts?

Frost, Mark {PBG} mark.frost1 at pepsi.com
Fri Feb 19 16:24:25 CET 2010

I just wanted to throw in a couple of comments on this thread regarding some items I've seen mentioned.  This pertains more to our particular situation here and I'm sure isn't everyone else's situation.

On the topic of a setup that would push configuration more to the client side, that would be somewhat of an administrative nightmare for us.  We run a lot of hosts/checks that are all very different (i.e. we don't do 10K checks of the exact same type of router or host).  In many cases there are custom scripts that apply only to a certain set of hosts.  Pushing changes to sets of hosts would be, erm, horrible for us.

On SNMP... while I know people who use this for Nagios quite effectively, this is also a problem in our situation.  While we "own" the boxes we monitor, we don't have admin control over them.  The entities that do maintain/control SNMP and are unlikely to allow us to control or extend them much.  Particularly with custom scripts that we require for Nagios.  So while SNMP may be a solution for some, it wouldn't be for us.

I too must say that I'm reasonably happy at least with NRPE (using NRPE on Unix/Linux and NSClient++ on Windows).  I did change the NRPE source to allow a larger buffer for messages which seems to comfortably allow larger messages to come through.  NSCA as a protocol is OK, but I've had to write my own client to push check results back from our distributed nodes to the central Nagios servers which has been stable, but a pain to maintain.  I'm looking forward to possibly using Merlin when I feel it's more stable and dumping my custom stuff entirely.

That's not to say that NRPE or NSCA couldn't use a revamp.  I'd just have to say it's not been on the top of my "wish it were improved" list.

My $0.02.

Thanks

Mark