Defining service dependency

Asrai khn asraikhn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 17:21:41 CET 2010

Hi list,

I want to define service dependency, i have read the relevant nagios docs
but I am not getting how to define one. we are running nagios 3.2.x (pre
build binary on centos 5.4)
Eg, I want to define service dependency for all services that been checked
with nrpe, ie if nrpe not running on remote host then nagios shouldn't send
notifications for these services instead just for nrpe.

Few days back our monitoring host send lot of notifications coz of nrpe
wasn't running on remote hosts, in this case I want nagios only alert for
'nrpe' not all the services that being checked with nrpe.

1. So first I have define a service to check nrpe on remote hosts.

# Command def for checking nrpe on remote hosts.
define command{
    command_name    nrpe_service
    command_line    $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$
    }

2. define a service for each hostgroup.

# service def.
define service{
        use                             check-interval-service
        service_description      nrpe
        check_command         nrpe_service
        hostgroup_name          Sol-Servers
            }

So far so good, I have several hosts (linux, solaris, hp) all of them have
the following standard service definition for checking remote hosts service
via check_nrpe

define service{
        use                             local-service
        host_name                   BB-2,NB-1
        service_description       SCC Procs
        check_command          check_nrpe!check_scc_procs
    }
define service{
        use                             local-service
        host_name                   BB-2
        service_description       SCC Partition
        check_command           nrpe_disk!check_disk4
        }

we have 5-10 nrpe check for each hosts which are scattered in different
hostgroups.

Now how to define a dependency so that if 'nrpe' service fail on remote
hosts nagios shouldn't send alerts for services whom check via nrpe.

Any configuration example will be greatly appreciated.

Due to binary version of nagios installed it will not possible for me to go
for any patching solution.

Thanks.