Question on setting up my own check

Jonathan Angliss jon at netdork.net
Thu Oct 21 07:50:08 CEST 2010

On 10/19/10 14:20, steve f wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have the following script created to check free space on a remote
> legacy box via rsh.
>
> used=`sudo rsh $1 df -v |grep starlite6 | head -1 | awk '{print $4}'`

====8<----
snip
====8<----

> If I run this from the command line, I get the following response:
>
> /usr/local/nagios/libexec # ./check_starlite_size LEGACYBOX 70 80
> Critical. Free Space: 51090B, 2%
>
> if nagios runs the script , I keep getting an unknown result on the
> central server ( distributed environment btw)
> from nagios.log on central server:
> [1287511053] PASSIVE SERVICE CHECK: strXXXXsa;Starlite Size;3;Unknown

So a "local" server is executing the check remotely on that host, then
using NSCA to pass it back to the central server? What does the server
that sends the command back say?

> I assume that the issue is an incorrect format for the send_nsca file
> but cant figure out how to set it up correctly. I have the check added
> on the distributed server & the central server in command.cfg &
> services.cfg and the check does run so I assume its correct from that
> aspect, just not an expected format/info ..
>
> Can anyone tell me what I am missing here ?
> Thanks,
> Steve

In addition to Marc and Trond's recommendations, another gotcha is sudo
may have the requiretty setting enabled by default, this can cause some
issues too.

--
Jonathan Angliss