Distributed Nagios

Assaf Flatto nagios at flatto.net
Mon Mar 7 17:44:10 CET 2011

Marco Borsani wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> To separate three sites, I am thinking to implement a distributed
> Nagios, but I never do it…and have more than 1500 services to check.
>
> I’d like to know which solutions do you use (and why) :
>
> DNX ?
>
> MNTOS ?
>
> NSCA ?
>
> Regards
>
> Marco Borsani
>
> *Unix and Monitoring Sysadmin*
>
> *Technical Operations Dpt.*
>
> tel: +39 010 4310115
>
> fax: +39 02 30130311
>
> cell: +39 329 5953944
>
> ITnet Srl
>
> Società con socio unico
>
> Direzione e Coordinamento di WIND TELECOM S.p.A.

Hello

I have used two of this option :DNX and NSCA , and in the end , due to
network restrictions had to use the NSCA to monitor the remote sites.
DNX is a good option if all your workers and target hosts are on the
same LAN - as the DNX module does not have a "host affinity" logic which
means any host will check any other host , and if it can't reach it -
nagios will get the critical error alert for it .
NSCA gives you the ability to monitor a remote site "locally" with a
nagios on the site LAN and report it back to the main central server
with a more fine grained testing , but a bit more overhead in management.

About the DNX issue - you may want to check the mod_gearman
http://labs.consol.de/lang/de/nagios/mod-gearman/
as it is better designed to a distributed nagios deployment .

Assaf