Service dependency help

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 18:56:28 CET 2012

Hello, I'm having some trouble getting a service dependency working and I
was hoping for some help.  I've read the section in Wolfgang Barth's book
"Nagios 2nd Edition" and googled around a bit, but something's still not
working right.  I'm using Nagios 3.0.6.

Specifically, I want to set it up so that my OpenManage (thanks Trond!) and
OMSA version checks both are dependent upon SNMP.  However, my setup is
still sending notifications for OMSA version and OpenManage when I stop the
SNMP daemon.  Here are the relevant snippets:

define service {
  use                   generic_service_t
  service_description   SNMP
  max_check_attempts    3
  normal_check_interval 60
  retry_check_interval  5
  notification_interval 60
  check_command         check_snmp_custom!-H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C tomgeco -P 2c
-o sysDescr.0
  event_handler         eventhandler_snmpd
  servicegroups         snmp
  hostgroup_name        dellhardware
  contact_groups        techops
}

define servicedependency{
  hostgroup_name                dellhardware
  service_description           SNMP
  dependent_service_description OMSA version,OpenManage
  inherits_parent               1
  execution_failure_criteria    n
  notification_failure_criteria u,c
}