host checks that don't respond to ICMP

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Mon Sep 1 15:19:29 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 08:02, Rob Nelson wrote:
> Just to check with the list, when a host doesn't respond to ICMP, the
> standard tactic is to use check_dummy, correct?

It's better to use a check that actually tests something. So for
instance, if you are running sshd and httpd on the subject server, you
may consider ssh to be stable beyond the need for testing, but might
have want to check the web server. Then run check_ssh or check_tcp
against the ssh port for your host check.

Roughly speaking, this arrangement will be better than check_dummy
whenevenr you have a TCP service that is more reliable than your network
connection. In my experience, sshd is one server that is far more
reliable than our network connection.

--
Karl