Environmental probes: where to install?

Az az at whoever.org
Fri Jun 30 11:43:03 CEST 2006

MaxxAtWork wrote:
> I'm planning to monitor temperature & humidity in our server room using Nagios.
> Question (admittedly, not strictly related to Nagios): where is best to place
> the probes? At what height?

We placed ours at ceiling height out of air currents as well. The idea
being the ceiling temp will climb (more noticeably) as you have heat
issues. The downside here is that if your ambient air temp isnt very
constant (eg you're using convential office space air con for a data
centre), then you'll need to have some "fat" in your Nagio thresholds.

We also have some inside the racks at the top as well. These are for
more touchy racks that hold high heat load devices like SANs and blade
centres.

Finally, we have one in the air con plant room. The idea here being that
at some point the external temp might be such that the efficiency of the
condensers drops off, hence you start to get some impact in the room as
well. It may never get to that point, but its nice to know before it
becomes a problem.