Monitoring Dell stuff?

Richard NAGY r.nagy at nameshield.net
Wed Jul 7 09:41:29 CEST 2004

Hello Jonathan,

I'm using DELL machines with RAID. Recently, I was in the same situation
as you. I was looking on the net for something and I did find some small
things which get me started. So I have done the job myself except for
the first script, which I adapted for my personal use with nagios. Well,
my problems were that I have 4 different DELL machines with four
different hardware RAID! So, it was a bit longer to handle.
On 4 machines, I solved 3. The last one, I have called DELL. They told
me that it is not possible for that card on that OS (RedHat 6.2 -- too
old, so is the card!)

So, here is some things that may help you (for monitoring) :

Dell PowerEdge 2450 with a DELL PERC 3/Si (driver percraid) : OK with afacli
Dell PowerEdge 2650 with a DELL PERC 3/Di (driver aacraid) : OK with afacli
Dell PowerEdge 1750 with a DELL PERC 4/Di (driver megaraid) : OK with proc
Dell PowerEdge 2450 with a DELL PERC 2/DC (driver megaraid) : NOT OK

There is an other solution for monitoring on some cards but I don't have
the time to test. It is with DOMSA (Dell Open Manage Server
Administrator with an SNMP agent).

So, I attached my two personal scripts for nagios.

Note :
* with afacli, the whole RAID is checked
* with proc, each disk of the RAID container is checked

comments are welcome!  ;-)
Regards.