Monitoring any RAID cards

Earl C. Ruby III earl at switchmanagement.com
Wed Jul 7 19:23:50 CEST 2004

I'm monitoring many types of RAID cards: Adaptec, 3ware, Mylex, and softraid.
Some hosts have multiple RAID cards.

My general approach is to use whatever command line tool you have to monitor
the RAID card and dump its "known good/working state" output to a file:

my_raid_tool --card 0 --info all > /var/state/diskmon/raid.card0

Then write a script to diff the output of the tool against the file:

my_raid_tool --card 0 --info all | diff -u - /var/state/diskmon/raid.card0

If the diff returns nothing, then everything is OK. If the diff returns
anything, return a critical error. If you start seeing "known and unimportant
errors" popping up (e.g. "Verifying disk"), you can run a second test to
eliminate them:

my_raid_tool --card 0 --info all | diff -u - /var/state/diskmon/raid.card0 |
grep -v 'unimportant error message 1' | grep -v 'unimportant error message 2'

If the second test returns something, return a critical error. If only the
first test returns something, return a warning. If neither test returns
anything, you're OK.

Earl

--
Earl C. Ruby III