Nagios View Discrepancies

Greg Vickers g.vickers at qut.edu.au
Fri Jan 14 00:36:37 CET 2005

Hi Michael

 From your email you are showing two different things: HOST detail and
SERVICE detail.

Your HOSTs are being checked with a ping when one of their services goes
into a non-OK state. (I'm assuming that's how you've got Nagios
configured) So when you look at your HOST status you see the result of
the HOST check, i.e. a ping result.

In your SERVICE detail, you have a ping SERVICE defined. (Service name
"PING") which (unlike a host check) is regularly scheduled. (Host checks
are only performed when a service enters a non-OK state.)

So. The PING SERVICE on metro-c6506-1 returns a non-OK (i.e. stops
responding to pings) THEN the host check is placed into the check queue
and is executed later (to confirm host reachability.) Hence you will see
two different results from your HOST check (a ping) and your SERVICE
check (also a ping) because they get executed at different times.

HTH,
Greg

--
Greg Vickers